Farningham lies in the valley of the river Darent, 17 miles from London.
The Parish Church, built of flint, which is abundant in the area, stands midway between the two ends of the village.
The exterior is faced with split flints, a traditional material in this part of Kent, but red brick was used for repairs carried out in 1790.
The earliest part of the church, built in the Early English period around 1240, is the chancel. From this a plain pointed arch leads into the 13th – 14th century NAVE which is 9ft wider. The TOWER at the west end was added about a century later.
In the 19th century the appearance of the church changed considerably, especially in 1830 when the EAST WINDOW was rebuilt and battlements and a turret were added to the original flat-topped tower increasing its height by 7ft.
From time to time GALLERIES have been erected in the nave, like one at the east end, which was reached by a narrow staircase built into the buttress beside the pulpit. This was demolished in 1871 and replaced by a small gallery under the tower (removed around 1900). The same year, red and black tiles were laid in the nave and below the tower, and the pulpit was replaced by the present one.
In 1949 the choir was moved from the chancel to the nave, and in 1965 the present choir stalls made from pine from British Columbia were installed.
The Roper Monument
Piscina and Sedilia